There has been a really interesting discussion in the Church Marketing Sucks Lab that I am a part of. It’s been really challenging. Go check out the discussion and then come back here to read the rest of the post.
I agree that the church should be one of the most, if not THE most creative place. We should be setting the standard…after all, we have the most important Message in the world, right?! Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
I am completely and 100% guilty of this myself. Our church has taken things in our culture and copied them. Some examples:
- iGod (who hasn’t done something like this yet??)
- We did a series on the Family Circus comic strip
- We did a series around the show 24 and completely ripped off the show
- Last summer we did a series called “Cure for the Common Life”…and although the graphics were all original, the title was not
- Just last month we did a series called “Just Walk Across the Room”…another book title
- We are doing a series this summer called “Heroes”…and we will actually have our own original graphics
Anyway, that’s just a taste of how we’ve ripped off the culture. Sometimes we made it our own, but that’s beside the point. So many churches blatantly rip off TV shows, movies, etc. and it needs to stop.
We need to strive for excellence. If you read the discussion in the lab, you will see some inspiring points from some of the members. I typed them out and they are now taped on the wall next to my desk. They’re there to challenge me to excellence…not to settle for status quo. I wanted to take a picture and post it for you to see, but my camera just died. Go to the discussion to see for yourself or go to this blog to see the post from who wrote it in the first place.